Who remembers this clip from A Christmas Story?
This clip is is one of my favorites! Although he does not like meatloaf, I sure do. So for this week here is a meatloaf recipe. I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com. I used it as a guide and then did my own thing. To know me is to know I don’t always measure and I like to make recipes my own adding special touches here and there. Here is the original recipe.
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 cup milk
1 cup dried bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1/3 cup ketchup
Here are some things I did different
- Used 2 lbs of Ground beef
- Instead of bread crumbs I used instant oatmeal flakes.
- I added shredded zucchini and mushrooms
- Used some BBQ sauce along with ketchup in the meatloaf and brushed some on top
- Did not use any brown sugar or mustard
- Added some season salt
- Sprinkled some parsley flakes on top.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg, onion, milk and bread OR cracker crumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste and place in a lightly greased 5×9 inch loaf pan, OR form into a loaf and place in a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard and ketchup. Mix well and pour over the meatloaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.
Great thing about meatloaf is that it is something you can easily make your own. I have used all sorts of veggies in meatloaf at times and even used beans once. Look in your fridge see what you have and just make it how you like. Enjoy